Dentures & Partial Dentures in Murfreesboro, TN
Dentures and Partial Dentures For Complete Smile Restoration
It’s hard to live a happy, healthy life without teeth. Whether you’re only missing one adult tooth or several, tooth loss makes it more difficult to eat, speak, or even smile without feeling extremely conscious. Additionally, tooth loss is detrimental to your oral and overall health. While dental implants are often recommended for tooth replacement, they may not suit your circumstances due to factors such as cost or time. Fortunately, Dr. Thompson and Drs. Starbody offers dentures and partial dentures as alternatives to traditional dental implants.
What Are Dentures And Partial Dentures?
Dentures and partial dentures are false teeth designed to match your natural smile. They fit comfortably in your mouth and replace any teeth you may be missing.
Dentures, also known as complete dentures, are made to replace an entire arch of teeth and use suction and adhesives to stay in place. However, dentures may require the removal of healthy remaining teeth so they can fit properly. Our dentists usually recommend dentures for patients who have lost most or all of the teeth in their upper or lower arches.
Partial dentures are designed to replace a few teeth in a row, but they use metal hooks that attach to your remaining teeth for support. This makes partial dentures a less invasive and more suitable option for patients who have only lost a few teeth in an arch.
Who Qualifies For Dentures and Partial Dentures?
Dentures are most often recommended for patients who:
- Are missing one or more teeth
- Have dental damage that can’t be repaired
- Can’t undergo implant placement
- Want a removable, affordable solution to tooth loss
- Want better dentures than the ones they currently have
Regardless of why you may need them, the important thing is to make sure that your dentures come from a qualified dentist that takes the time and attention to make sure that they fit, look great, and are able to last. Our Murfreesboro dentists will go above and beyond to fill these needs and ensure you never feel embarrassed or uncomfortable wearing dentures.
Benefits of Dentures And Partial Dentures
The common conception of dentures is that they are tacky, uncomfortable, and easily slide out of the mouth at the most inconvenient times. Nothing could be further from the truth, as modern medicine and fabrication technology have made dentures far better than they were even ten years ago. Some of the benefits of modern dentures include the following:
- Affordability – Our dentures are more affordable than tooth replacement with singular traditional implants, especially for patients who have experienced almost total tooth loss.
- Comfort & Safety – Dentures are fully form-fitted to the unique contours of your gums and lips. This means that you will get dentures that not only look natural but which feel natural in the mouth. Custom-made dentures and partial dentures mean more than just comfort, too; crafting dentures to the proper form helps you to avoid friction against the gums due to ill-fitting dentures, which leads to infection.
- Natural Appearance – Our offices create dentures that look like your natural teeth, right down to the coloring and surface texture of the tooth.
- Simple Use & Maintenance – They’re easy to use and care for.
- Improved Bite – Dentures restore some of your bite force. This helps you properly chew food for improved digestion, better nutritional absorption, and reduced risk of choking and diabetes.
- Improved Speech – Dentures help prevent lisps and speaking impairments caused by tooth loss.
- Smile With Confidence – Dentures fully and reliably restore your smile.
- Durability & Longevity – Not only are today’s dentures built to last and fitted to your unique dental profile, but we can also provide any repairs or cosmetic work that your dentures may need as well. That way, they look perfect every time and you get the maximum amount of use out of them.
Treatment With Dentures and Partial Dentures
Before you can receive treatment with dentures or partial dentures, you’ll attend a consultation with one of our skilled dentists. During your consultation, your dentist will thoroughly examine your mouth, jaw, and any remaining teeth, review your medical history, and discuss your oral health goals with you. This information will allow your dentist to determine if dentures or partial dentures are right for you.
Impressions & Imaging
Once you and your dentist have decided to move forward with tooth replacement with dentures, we can begin the treatment process. Impressions and images will be taken of your mouth and any teeth you may have left. These impressions and images will be digitized and forwarded to a special laboratory where trained technicians will use them to design your dentures or partial dentures.
If you’re receiving complete dentures, you may need to undergo tooth extraction first. We’ll apply a local anesthetic before any teeth are removed and ensure you’re comfortable. If you’re electing to receive partial dentures, extraction won’t be necessary. You’ll return to our Murfreesboro office once your dentures are ready and your gums and jaw have finished healing.
Depending on the specifics of your case, your dentist may provide you with immediate dentures. Much like the name implies, you receive immediate dentures immediately after your teeth are pulled, or as soon as you decide on dentures. While immediate dentures help protect your gums and prevent you from having to go toothless, they aren’t made with allowances for how the shape of your mouth and jaw will change.
More permanent conventional dentures are custom-made to fit your smile once the changes caused by tooth loss are complete. While a temporary solution, immediate dentures can help you get used to dentures. Your dentist can also make changes to the design of your conventional dentures based on your feedback about your immediate dentures.
Fitting Your Dentures
After a certain amount of time has passed, you’ll return to have your dentures fitted. Your dentist will make sure your dentures are to your liking. Then, they’ll show you how to wear them and instruct you on how to care for them. From there, you’ll be free to enjoy your newly restored smile.
Frequently Asked Questions
Dentures or complete dentures tend to last an average of five to 10 years, while partial dentures tend to last an average of 15 years. To help them last, your dentures and partial dentures will need daily cleaning and maintenance from your Murfreesboro dentists. Be sure to visit our Murfreesboro office at least once every six months, so our dentists can help maintain your dentures and your overall oral health.
- Practice proper oral hygiene by rinsing, as well as brushing and flossing any remaining teeth before putting your dentures in.
- Clean your dentures every day with a toothbrush and denture toothpaste.
- Soak your dentures overnight in water or a specially made cleaning solution.
- Rinse your dentures thoroughly before putting them back in your mouth.
- Visit your dentist as soon as possible if your dentures start to feel loose or make your mouth feel sore.
- Avoid using bleach, harsh bristles, or hot water to clean your dentures as these can weaken and destroy them.
No. Failure to remove your dentures before you sleep can result in bad breath and denture stomatitis, also known as oral thrush. Thrush is a condition where your gums become swollen, yeast-infected, and inflamed due to overexposure to bacteria that grows between your gums and dentures and a lack of saliva exposure for your gums.
The exact cost of your dentures and partial dentures will depend on numerous factors, including whether or not you need complete dentures or partial dentures and your insurance. We encourage you to call your provider beforehand and ask them which costs they can cover. If you’re underinsured or uninsured, your Murfreesboro dentists are here to help. We offer flexible third-party financing through CareCredit so you can smile with confidence and enjoy good oral health.
Affordable Dentures & Partial Dentures For Better Smiles
Our goal is to give you the best combination of dignity, comfort, and ability. With our dentures and partial dentures, crafted with the top materials in the industry, we achieve great results for our Murfreesboro patients and patients in surrounding areas such as La Vergne, Brentwood, and Franklin, TN.
To learn more about dentures and partial dentures and how they can effectively and affordably restore your smile, schedule an appointment at our Murfreesboro office by dialing 615-896-1330. You can also fill out the contact form at the bottom of the page and we’ll get back to you shortly.